artsPlace is Canmore's community arts Centre - a welcoming, user-friendly space where Bow Valley residents and visitors can gather to explore, discover, and celebrate the adventure of art and creativity through a full range of classes, workshops, camps, performances, films, and exhibits. artsPlace is operated by the Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation, a registered charity, operating at arm's length from The Town of Canmore
Mission - We Grow the Arts to Build our Community and Enrich our Lives
Vision - A Bow Valley in which all residents participate in the arts and appreciate creativity as a vital part of their daily lives
artsPlace Seeks a Qualified Volunteer ForThe Board of Directors
Treasurer (Chair of Finance and Audit Committee)
The Treasurer is a volunteer position on the Board of Directors of the Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation, the governing body for artsPlace in Canmore. Our mission is to act as a catalyst and resource for creating, connecting, and promoting arts in Canmore and the Bow Valley. The Board sets the direction of artsPlace and has the mandate and authority to act in the organization’s best interests. Functioning at arm’s length from the operational organization, we focus on the big picture, are future-oriented and act as a single entity.
As a Board member, the Treasurer is expected to prepare for and attend monthly meetings (2 hrs), as well as the Annual General Meeting. The Treasurer also serves as Chair of the Finance and Audit Committee.
- Oversees financial activities of CMAF
- Ensures financial resources are received and disbursed in accordance with directions of the Board, the Bylaws, the financial policies and procedures and any applicable law
- Ensures complete and accurate financial records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting practices, CMAF Financial Policies and Procedures and are submitted to the Board whenever called upon to do so
- Ensures the Board is kept up to date on the financial circumstances of CMAF
- Works closely on a regular basis with the Executive Director of artsPlace who manages the financial resources of artsPlace
- Supports the ED in the preparation of an annual budget, ensuring it is prepared and approved by the Board
- Ensures any required audited financial statements are prepared for CMAF’s year end
- Submits a report on CMAF’s financial status and presents the annual audited financial statements at the AGM
- Facilitates the appointment of the external auditor
- Reviews the representation of the financial statements in the Annual Report is an accurate and faithful representation of CMAF’s audited financial statements for the year reported on
- Chairs the Finance and Audit Committee - The purpose of the Finance and Audit Committee is to assist the board in fulfilling its obligations and oversight responsibilities relating to financial planning, financial reporting, external audit, internal controls, treasury, and risk management
- Provides a brief report on behalf of the Finance and Audit Committee to the Board at each Board Meeting
- Provides a more detailed summary of the CMAF finances on behalf of the Finance and Audit Committee to the Board each quarter
Application Deadline: Monday, November 30, 2020
Documents of Interest: Audited Financial Statements and Annual Reports
Note: Finance and Audit Committee Terms of Reference are available upon request
Please include with your application a CV or detail of qualifications plus a short explanation of your interest in joining the Board of Directors, why you would be a good fit for artsPlace/Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation and the position.
To apply or for further questions: [email protected]
MEMBERSHIP IN THE CANADIAN MOUNTAIN ARTS FOUNDATION
The Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation (CMAF) is a registered non-profit society under the Alberta Societies Act and is the governing body of artsPlace.
CMAF is governed by a 12-member Board of Directors. 11 Directors are elected by Members of the Society (CMAF Members) and one Director, a Town of Canmore Councillor, is appointed by Town of Canmore Council on an annual basis.
In accordance with CMAF Bylaws, A CMAF membership provides for greater involvement in CMAF’s governance structure with the opportunity to vote on motions brought forward at Annual General Meetings and Special Meetings, including but not limited to the election of Board Members and amendments to CMAF Bylaws. It represents membership in the registered society in accordance with CMAF Bylaws.
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Payment of an annual, none tax-receitable membership fee of $25
- Agreement to abide by CMAF bylaws
- Provide CMAF with your full legal name, Bow Valley address, and a valid e-mail address and phone number
Note: Purchasing an “artsPlace Membership” does not entitle you to CMAF Society Membership voting rights. A “CMAF Membership” must be purchased separately. CMAF Memberships must be purchased a minimum of 45 days in advance of the AGM or Special Meetings in order to receive voting rights at the respective meetings.
- Your CMAF membership is non-transferable
- You will receive e-emails of the Annual General Meeting and Special Meetings as they may arise
- Votes may be made by Proxy through a designated Board Member
Cancellation and Refund Policy
All ticket sales and registrations are final and no cash refunds will be issued except in the event of cancellation by artsPlace. Equivalent value credits may be issued up to two weeks prior to program commencement.
Our Board & Staff
artsPlace and the Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation count many of the Bow Valley’s best, brightest and busiest residents among its board, staff and festival coordinators. The result? A capable, friendly, helpful and committed team of individuals who are always open to new ideas and who are a lot of fun to work with.
Reports and Documents
To assist artsPlace users and to support our commitment to transparency we have posted our audited financial statements, annual reports and other documents online.
Donors & Sponsors
Thank you for your gift! The success of artsPlace depends on the support of the individuals, families, and businesses listed below. Through their generosity, these donors and sponsors have enriched the programming and activities offered by artsPlace.