artsPlace is Canmore's community arts Centre - a welcoming, user-friendly space where Bow Valley residents and visitors can gather to explore, discover, and celebrate the adventure of art and creativity through a full range of classes, workshops, camps, performances, films, and exhibits. artsPlace is operated by the Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation, a registered charity, operating at arm's length from The Town of Canmore
Mission - We Grow the Arts to Build our Community and Enrich our Lives
Vision - A Bow Valley in which all residents participate in the arts and appreciate creativity as a vital part of their daily lives
Board of Directors Opportunity
Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation (CMAF), operating as artsPlace
Apply and express your interest by January 6th by email to [email protected]
CMAF seeks individuals interested in arts and creativity and as members of the CMAF Board, with experience in fund development, finance and auditing, governance and policy development for the upcoming two-year term commencing April 2021. Ideally Directors stand for reappointment for further terms, up to a maximum of three two-year terms. Experience building relationships with municipal, provincial and federal levels of government and within the Bow Valley community would also be most welcome.
Describe your expertise, and your areas of interest regarding the Board committees or Executive positions as President, Vice President, Treasurer or Secretary. Please also include your connections to the Bow Valley community and to artsPlace, and what has inspired you to consider volunteering with CMAF in this way. As a member of the Board, we are expected to prepare for and attend monthly meetings that are approximately two hours long, and attend the Annual General Meeting. Every Director is an active member of at least one Board committee, for a total time commitment of a minimum of 10 hours per month. To help you determine which Board committee you may be best suited for, we’ve included a brief description below:
- Executive Committee: The purpose of the Executive Committee is to help ensure the effective governance of CMAF and artsPlace by providing timely guidance to the President, the Executive Director and/or the Committee Chairs on emerging, time-sensitive, and/or significant issues arising between meetings of the Board of Directors. The President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary of the Board serve on this committee.
- Finance & Audit Committee: The purpose of the Finance and Audit Committee is to assist the Board in fulfilling its obligations and oversight responsibilities relating to financial planning, financial reporting, external audit, internal controls, treasury, and risk management. The Treasurer also serves on this committee.
- Fund Development Committee: The Fund Development Committee supports the vision, mission, goals, and activities of the Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation and assists the Board and staff in successfully raising the funds required to fulfill the CMAF’s annual budget and strategic plan.
- Governance Committee: The purpose of the Governance Committee is to ensure that the Board fulfills its legal, ethical, and functional responsibilities through adequate governance policy, process and governance document review and development, board training programs, and monitoring of Board activities.
- Nominating Committee: The purpose of the Nominating Committee is to ensure that the slate of candidates for the Board is presented for election at the Annual General Meeting, ensuring that the organization has high quality candidates to consider with the necessary skills.
To apply or for further questions: [email protected]
Documents of Interest: Audited Financial Statements and Annual Reports
Thank you for your interest!
Membership in the Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation
The Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation (CMAF) is a registered non-profit society under the Alberta Societies Act and is the governing body of artsPlace.
CMAF is governed by a 12-member Board of Directors. 11 Directors are elected by Members of the Society (CMAF Members) and one Director, a Town of Canmore Councillor, is appointed by Town of Canmore Council on an annual basis.
In accordance with CMAF Bylaws, A CMAF membership provides for greater involvement in CMAF’s governance structure with the opportunity to vote on motions brought forward at Annual General Meetings and Special Meetings, including but not limited to the election of Board Members and amendments to CMAF Bylaws. It represents membership in the registered society in accordance with CMAF Bylaws.
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Payment of an annual, none tax-receitable membership fee of $25
- Agreement to abide by CMAF bylaws
- Provide CMAF with your full legal name, Bow Valley address, and a valid e-mail address and phone number
Note: Purchasing an “artsPlace Membership” does not entitle you to CMAF Society Membership voting rights. A “CMAF Membership” must be purchased separately. CMAF Memberships must be purchased a minimum of 45 days in advance of the AGM or Special Meetings in order to receive voting rights at the respective meetings.
- Your CMAF membership is non-transferable
- You will receive e-emails of the Annual General Meeting and Special Meetings as they may arise
- Votes may be made by Proxy through a designated Board Member
Cancellation and Refund Policy
All ticket sales and registrations are final and no cash refunds will be issued except in the event of cancellation by artsPlace. Equivalent value credits may be issued up to two weeks prior to program commencement.
Our Board & Staff
artsPlace and the Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation count many of the Bow Valley’s best, brightest and busiest residents among its board, staff and festival coordinators. The result? A capable, friendly, helpful and committed team of individuals who are always open to new ideas and who are a lot of fun to work with.
Reports and Documents
To assist artsPlace users and to support our commitment to transparency we have posted our audited financial statements, annual reports and other documents online.
Donors & Sponsors
Thank you for your gift! The success of artsPlace depends on the support of the individuals, families, and businesses listed below. Through their generosity, these donors and sponsors have enriched the programming and activities offered by artsPlace.