The Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation (CMAF), operating as artsPlace, is Seeking Volunteers to Sit on our Board of Directors.
Application Deadline January 28, 2022
As a CMAF Director, you will be a volunteer at artsPlace and play a significant role in the governance of artsPlace. Prior to applying, please familiarize yourself with the CMAF Board approved 2022 Recruitment Criteria here: 2022 Recruitment Criteria.
As a CMAF Director, you will commit to undertake a fiduciary role and further the artsPlace mission and vision:
artsPlace Mission: We Grow the Arts to Build our Community and Enrich our Lives.
artsPlace Vision: A Bow Valley in which all residents participate in the arts and appreciate creativity as part of their daily lives.
We are seeking community members interested in the arts and creativity with experience in fundraising, finance, governance, organizational and policy development for an initial two-year term commencing in April 2022 following the CMAF Annual General Meeting (Date TBC). Directors who have satisfied the approved recruitment criteria can stand for reappointment for further terms, up to a maximum of three two-year terms. At the present time, the Board is most interested in extending its connections within the Bow Valley community and its cultural and demographic diversity. Note that as a member of the CMAF Board, you are expected to prepare for and attend monthly Board meetings that are approximately two hours long, attend the Annual General Meeting, and be an active member of at least one Board committee, for a typical time commitment of 8 to 10 hours per month. Many CMAF Directors serve on more than one Board committee. To help you determine which Board committee you may be best suited for, please review the following summary:
- Executive Committee: The Executive Committee helps ensure the effective governance of CMAF and artsPlace by providing timely guidance to the President, the Executive Director and/or the Committee Chairs on emerging, time-sensitive, and/or significant issues arising between meetings of the Board of Directors. The President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary of the Board serve on this committee.
- Finance & Audit Committee: The Finance and Audit Committee assists the Board in fulfilling its obligations and oversight responsibilities relating to financial planning, financial reporting, external audit, internal controls, treasury, and risk management. The Treasurer chairs this committee.
- Fund Development Committee: The Fund Development Committee supports the vision, mission, goals, and activities of CMAF by assisting the Board and staff in successfully raising the funds required to fulfill CMAF’s annual budget and strategic plan. In addition, many CMAF Directors also serve as volunteers on the Creative Combat Committee (the popular annual artsPlace fundraising event) that is chaired by a CMAF Director on the Fund Development Committee.
- Governance Committee: The Governance Committee ensures the Board fulfills its legal, ethical, and functional responsibilities through adequate governance policy, process, and governance document review and development, board training programs, and monitoring of Board activities.
- Nominating Committee: The Nominating Committee ensures a high-quality slate of candidates for the Board with the necessary skills is presented for election at the Annual General Meeting, as well as recommending candidates to fill any vacant positions that may arise during the year. The Nominating Committee works closely with the Chairs of the other Board committees and assists in identifying community members to volunteer on other committees.
Submit an expression of interest by email to [email protected] by January 28, 2022, stating why you are interested in joining the Board of Directors, your connection to both the arts and creativity and the Bow Valley, as well as how your background and experience could best support the work and potential growth of artsPlace in the Bow Valley. Please also include a CV, and two personal references that may potentially be contacted later following a potential interview with the Nominating Committee.
The volunteer Board of Directors is at the heart of the charitable work of the Canadian Mountain Arts Foundation and artsPlace in the Bow Valley. Thank you in advance for your interest in taking on a larger role in supporting our mandate and vision.
Please visit https://artsplacecanmore.com/about-us/reports to see documents of interest including the Board Approved Board Recruitment Criteria. If you have any further questions please contact [email protected].