artsPlace Summer Camp Positions
artsPlace, Canmore’s community arts centre, is seeking to fill the following positions for the summer term between late June and end of August 2023.
The positions of Summer Camp Coordinator and Summer Camp Leader may be funded by Canada Summer Jobs. To be considered for a position funded by Canada Summer Jobs, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
artsPlace celebrates diversity and equality. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, colour, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, or any other applicable characteristics protected by law.
SUMMER CAMP COORDINATOR - SUPERVISOR
The perfect opportunity for an artist who has experience leading arts activities with children. The person in this role will coordinate the daily running of the artsPlace summer camps, mentor other artist educators, lead arts activities for children, and ensure a safe and creative learning environment for all participants and staff.
The Camp Coordinator is an artist and educator who will facilitate arts-based camps during the summer at artsPlace. The Camp Coordinator should have a background in some artistic discipline such as visual arts, drama, dance, music, or any traditional cultural artform. They are responsible for instructing lessons to campers aged 6 to 12 and also for completing some administrative tasks. Through effective leadership and programming, the Camp Coordinator enables children to develop artistic skills, make friends, socialize and build self-esteem. The Camp Coordinator will ensure camp activities are safe, educational, inclusive, and meet artsPlace’s mandate to inspire, engage, support and celebrate the artistic talents and pursuits of the residents of the Bow Valley. If you are an artist, and working for artsPlace inspires you, then we want to hear from you regardless of whether or not you fit the job description precisely.
This is a full time position, Monday to Friday, 8:30-4:30pm, offering an hourly rate of $20/hr.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Develop camp activities with an emphasis on creative education and opportunities for creative play.
- Help ensure programming is adapted to each campers’ needs with regards to ability and different ways of learning.
- Facilitate fun and age-appropriate art lessons in a variety of arts disciplines.
- Ensure lessons have been reviewed and are ready to be presented to the campers prior to the program delivery.
- Prioritize camper’s well-being, safety and protection at all times by assessing, evaluating & mitigating potential risks.
- Prepare and organize program equipment and supplies, reporting any inventory shortages to the Programs Associate.
- Demonstrate the confidence and ability to make decisions independently and in the best interests of the campers. Resolve problems and conflicts effectively as they arise.
- Organize and assist with set-up and clean-up of camp events, activities and programs.
- Maintain positive, constructive relationships with artsPlace staff and volunteers and the families of the campers.
- Report any accidents, incidents, concerns, first aid occurrences or site damage to the Programs Associate.
- Promptly report absences to the Programs Associate, maintain ratios and complete headcounts according to artsPlace policies and procedures.
- A police information check with vulnerable sector screening is required.
- Participate in orientation and first aid training.
- Additional duties as required.
SUMMER CAMP COORDINATOR - LEADER
This opportunity is for an artist who would like to gain more experience leading arts activities with children. Reporting to the Programs Associate, the person in this role will assist with the daily running of the artsPlace summer camps, lead arts activities for children, and collaborate with all camp staff for a successful and creative summer camp experience.
The Summer Camp Leader will provide support to the Camp Coordinators during the artsPlace Summer Camps. They will be responsible to assist in the instruction of art lessons, including helping children to be successful and engaged in these activities. The Camp Leader will also need to teach some arts lessons on their own in any arts discipline such as visual arts, drama, dance, music, or any traditional cultural artform. The Summer Camp Leader will be responsible for camper supervision as well as set-up and clean-up for arts activities on each camp day. With help from the Camp Coordinators, the Camp Leader will provide effective leadership which enables children and youth to develop artistic skills, make friends, socialize and build self-esteem. The Camp Leader will assist the Camp Coordinators to ensure camp activities are safe, educational, inclusive, and meet artsPlace's mandate to inspire, engage, support and celebrate the artistic talents and pursuits of the residences of the Bow Valley. If you are a creative being and working for artsPlace inspires you, then we want to hear from you regardless of whether or not you fit the job description precisely.
This is a full time position, Monday to Friday, 8:30-4:30pm, offering an hourly rate of $18/hr.
Please forward a resume and cover letter expressing what excites you about the position and why you are the best fit, to the attention of Programs Associate, artsPlace at [email protected], referencing Summer Camp Position in the subject line, or drop off in person at artsPlace, 950 8th Ave, Canmore no later than Friday, March 31, 2023.
We thank all those who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.