March 31, 2020 — May 1, 2020
A curated list of inspiring and beautiful films featuring women who dare to dream, explore and adventure!
P = Paid, F=Free
- Lady First F (22 min) - A film about Jun Bao, she the first Chinese women to climb 5.14.
- Brave New World P (76 min) - Oakley Anderson-Moore, the daughter of a pioneering climber, stumbles upon her father's old hi8 tapes, and sets out to answer the question: why climb when there's nothing to gain -- and everything to lose?
- Project Mina P (37 min) - Intimate and powerful, Project Mina follows pro-climber Mina Leslie-Wujastyk on the World Cup bouldering circuit of 2013. A film about dedication, struggle, determination and finding your way, with climbing sequences from world cup stages to the quiet boulders of remote Southern Africa.
- SheLift goes Rapelling F (5 min) - Four young women from around the country came together to overcome self-limiting beliefs through adventure in Moab with Sarah Herron and SheLift.
- Operation Moffat F (20 min) - Writer and climber Claire Carter is trying to forge a courageous path in life. She finds inspiration in the legendary guide and writer Gwen Moffat, who broke the mould for what women can achieve in the mountains half a century earlier.
- Breath/Aliento P (17 min) - Fear, breathing, movement, presence. Breath, an inside look at Margarita Cardoso’s process to climb one of the most technically difficult and beautiful sport climbing routes at Los Dinamos, Mexico City.
- Sandrine Hamel: A Para Snowboarders Story F (15 min) - Sandrine Hamel was born with a major scoliosis which left her with partial paralysis in both legs. Her determination and competitive nature has led her to compete with team Canada on the world cup boardercross circuit.
- A Land Shaped by Women F (50 min) - Snowboard and Surf in Iceland
- The Little Things P (44 min) - a snowboard movie project based on environmentally conscious riders who are inspirational through their riding, as well as their sustainable ways of living and thinking.
- Super Mom F (9 min) - Between 1996 and 2004 Wendy Fisher was the most dominant female Big Mountain Freeskier in the world - then she had kids. Nearly a decade later, we revisit Wendy to see if she's still got 'it'.
- Children of the Columbia F (22 min) - Join big mountain skiers Dane Tudor and Christina Lustenberger as they travel up the waterway that shaped them, the mighty Columbia, home to some of the best skiing in the world.
- Finding the Line F (52 min) - Olympian and X Games Slopestyle champion Anna Segal and her Freeride World Tour, big mountain skiing sister, Nat Segal, use their skiing to understand fear and how it manifests in their lives.
- All In F (59 min) - follwing a talented group of hard-charging women who want to disrupt the male-dominated ski film formula with their own legendary skills.
- Four F (4 episodes) - Get to know four young rising stars in freestyle skiing: Mathilde Gremaud, Kelly Sildaru, Jennie-Lee Burmansson and Tess Ledeux.
- Naretoi P (27 min) - Naretoi, which means “women empowering women” in KiMaasai, is a documentary film that follows a group of Maasai and American women on a self supported expedition to the summit of Mount Kenya.
- A Grand Journey P (15 min) - Climbing the iconic Grand Teton has been a childhood dream of Kira's, wo was born with a birt defect and lost her leg at a young age. This is an intimate look into Kira’s unique but incredibly relatable journey as she attempts to take on a goal she herself may not believe is possible.
- Equal Footing P (7 min) - Wyoming’s remote and vast wilderness provides the perfect canvas for Alpinists Kim Havell and Julia Heemstra to redefine preconception of the feminine.
- Running on Empty F (13 min) - The average person walks Corsica’s merciless GR20 trail in two weeks. Ultrarunner Rory Bosio is not average. With guest appearances of duct-taped hiking poles, anti-chafe gloves and local pizza, see what the 118 mile trail looks like in 50 hours.
- Bat Girl F (11 min) - Rhonda-Marie Avery, aka "Batgirl" was born with only 8% vision and is legally blind. Nevertheless, Rhonda has run numerous ultra road and trail marathons, including a 314 mile run across the state of Tennessee.
- The Mirvanator F (11 min) - Ultra-runners overcome obstacles on every trail. In this film, Force of Nature Mirna Valerio overcomes the negative voices that don’t believe she belongs in the sport.
- Trail Sisters F - A catalogue of amazing women's running films
- Do Better Together F (11 min) - Ayesha McGowan is a young black woman from New Jersey who is determined to become the first female African-American pro road cyclist.
- Dirt Chix F (43 min) - Making the time for yourself isn’t easy, but 160 women mountain bikers from Kamloops do it every Thursday night. They ride together for the camaraderie, and the laughs, forming deep friendships on the trails.
- Vision P (37 min) - adidas and Five Ten presents VISION, a female led Freeride Mountain Bike film. VISION is a film about inclusivity, standing alongside your heroes and redefining the status quo.
- Blood Road P (96 min) - Blood Road follows the journey of ultra-endurance mountain bike athlete Rebecca Rusch and her Vietnamese riding partner, Huyen Nguyen, as they pedal 1,200 miles along the infamous Ho Chi Minh Trail to reach the crash site and final resting place of Rebecca’s father, a U.S. Air Force pilot shot down over Laos some 40 years earlier.
- Afghan Cycles P (86 min) - Following a new generation of young Afghan women cyclists, Afghan Cycles uses the bicycle to tell a story of women’s rights - human rights - and the struggles faced by Afghan women on a daily basis.
- Surf Anywhere F (9 min) - You can surf anywhere – even 1500m above sea level and 1000km away from the nearest ocean.
- Gettin Better at Canada F (13 min) - Pro surfer Hanna Scott, and two female athletes boat to a remote beach in Canada for a surf trip of self discovery.
- Can I Surf That? P (47 min) - A group of ladies, chasing big waves, and promoting love for the sport that rules their lives - River Surfing.
- Into the Sea P (52 min) - Through the eyes of three young, pioneering sportswomen who bring surfing to Iran the film explores why it so important for women to practice sport and how the apparently simple act of surfing can become a powerful creative medium for change.
- Tofino is a Place F (4 min) - The women's surf community in Tofino is as unique as British Columbia is remote. The annual, all women's surf contest Queen of the Peak is a testament of the grit and determination of those who live there.
- Galzillas F (10 min) - The Galzillas are a serious boat crew consisting entirely of women - a unique find in the Vancouver sailboat racing scene.
- Maiden P (97 min) - Maiden is the story of how Tracy Edwards, a 24-year-old cook in charter boats, became the skipper of the first ever all-female crew to enter the Around the World Race.
- Home P (unrealased) - We keep checking that this BMFF winning film about adventure kayaker Sara Houten is released soon. Fingers crossed!
- Whitewater Kayaking with Nouria Newman F (2x 14 min episodes) - Follow along on the journey as French kayaker Nouria Newman, along with her friends, seek to find the toughest white water around the world.
- HERoic F (5 episodes) - Hear the origin stories of four inspiring atheletes from the worlds of boxing, speedskating, rock climbing and sitting volleyball as they embark on new goals and reach for new career heights.
- My Big White Thighs and Me F (25 min) - Beautifully directy body-positive adventure
- Chasing a Trace F (20 min) - This film follows wildlife scientist, Mirjan Barrueto, on her quest to find elusive breed female wolverines in the mountains of Western Canada.
- Queer Scouts F (18 min) - A group of radical LGBTQ youth in Alberta teach and empower themselves and eachother as they prepare to lead the social movements of tomorrow.