What does Creative Combat look like?
· An evening with a fun party vibe, DJ, emcees, food and drinks. The audience mixes and mingles as the first set of 6 artists take their places at their easels.
· There are three “rounds”, with each round being 20 minutes long:
- Round #1: 6 artists are introduced with a personalized video introduction, then the painting begins, and the audience cheers them on!
- Round #2: Same process with 6 new artists.
- Round #3 features the top 4 semi-finalists from the first two rounds (selected by audience votes).
· After the final round, the audience votes for their favourite painting, and the winner is announced and given a prize. ALL artists are recognized and thanked for being great sports and helping to support artsPlace!
· In the words of a veteran artist, “Remember that it’s just all for fun. It’s not about competing with other people, it’s about creating fun.”
· Check out this article about Creative Combat: https://www.rmotoday.com/mountain-guide/creative-combat-returns-in-support-of-artsplace-4350965
When is Creative Combat 9.0?
The evening of Saturday, November 18th 2023.
How many artists will be part of the event?
12 artists will be selected to participate.
Is there an age limit?
Anyone aged 18+ years old is welcome!
What is the artist selection process?
As we did last year, we will have a public call for any interested artists. artsPlace strives to be an inclusive organization, a safe and equitable space for honouring the diversity of people living and working in the Bow Valley. In the same way, Creative Combat 9.0 welcomes submissions by artists of all classes, genders, cultures, ages and abilities.
What’s in it for me?
· It’s a lot of fun, PLUS your involvement in this fundraiser will support the year-round work of artsPlace.
· Creative Combat is in its ninth year and is a big event in the Bow Valley so it’s a great way to get exposure to an enthusiastic audience.
· We will make a showcase video of each participating artist and share it across artsPlace channels leading up to the event.
· New artists have a chance to be mentored by established local artists who have participated in years past.
· All participating artists will have the opportunity to showcase an original art piece for sale in the silent auction, from which they’ll receive 45% of the sale. Check out last year’s auction site: https://givergy.ca/artsplace22
· For more information, visit last year’s Creative Combat page with links to the Silent Auction and Artist Profiles: https://artsplacecanmore.com/whats-on/festivals/creative-combat-2022
How do I know if I’m ready to take part in Creative Combat?
Can you make a painting in 20 minutes? Set a timer and give it a go! We recommend you try it at least a few times, from start to finish. You’ll be asked to include one of these pieces as a part of your online submission.
What media can I use at Creative Combat?
At the event you may use: acrylic paint, charcoal, pastels, and stencils. artsPlace will provide student grade acrylic paint (limited colours), cradled birch board, canvas, and paintbrushes. Media not allowed include but are not limited to: toxic materials, oil paints, powders, pigment, aerosol products, resin etc.
How do I label my images before I upload them on the application form:
All images should be labelled: Firstname_Lastname_Title_Medium_Size The size should be inches x inches.
How do I prepare for the event?
Practicing at home with a timer is a great idea. If you need access to studio space and supplies (acrylic paints and canvases), call Becky and she will find a time for you to experiment at artsPlace.
Will all supplies be provided for the event?
Yes, you will be provided with an easel, canvas and painting supplies including acrylic paints. You are welcome however to use your own acrylic paints and/or other allowable media if you prefer.
Do I really have to finish the painting in only 20 minutes?
Yes! This is a fun, fast-paced evening of painting - that’s what makes it so exciting!
Will the audience be live?
Yes, and they will be cheering you on as you create! All artists (6 at a time) will be painting in front of a live audience at artsPlace.
What if I’m uncomfortable painting in front of an audience?
If this is your first year as a participating artist, artsPlace will pair you with a mentor artist who has participated in past Creative Combat events. These seasoned competitors will help you get as prepared as possible for the event.
Are the artists paid?
Participating artists will each receive a $200 honorarium plus a percentage (45%) of the sale of your piece you submit for the silent auction. All revenue from the sale of the painting from the night of the event however goes to artsPlace. To see last year's silent auction go to https://givergy.ca/artsplace22
Is there a prize for the winner?
The winning artist will be awarded a $500 prize.
What happens to the artists’ paintings after the event?
All paintings created by Creative Combat artists will be auctioned off, following the event, as part of the Silent Auction fundraiser for artsPlace. As a participating artist, this would be part of your contribution to the fundraising efforts.
What are the health and safety protocols for this event?
artsPlace follows all provincial health protocols.
Where does all the money go that is raised at Creative Combat?
All proceeds from the event and the silent auction go towards ensuring that artsPlace can provide high quality affordable programming for the community.
How do I apply?
Click the following link to submit 5 images of your work (including one image of a painting you did in 20 minutes) along with contact information, and a short paragraph to tell us why you are interested in participating: https://www.tfaforms.com/4977665
When is the deadline to apply?
5pm MDT on Thursday May 25th 2023. TBD
How will the participants be chosen?
An independent jury of three, comprised of at least one practicing artist, will review all entries. The decision will be based primarily on an evaluation of the images of artwork submitted, and an assurance that the artist can create a painting in 20 minutes (or is willing/able to learn). They will also review the written submissions. Their review will be “blind”, meaning they will not see the names of the artists who have applied. The jury will follow standard jury practices, including using a Selection Criteria Scoring Rubric. All efforts will be made to choose a diverse group of artists.
When will I hear back about whether or not I have been selected?
You will hear back from us by the end of June whether or not you are selected to participate in CC9.0.
If I am not ready to be part of Creative Combat, are there any other opportunities to get involved and to support artsPlace in general?
artsPlace genuinely appreciates your interest in helping out and yes, there are many ways you can do so! Please contact Becky at artsPlace, and she will get you involved in a way that makes the most sense for you. Phone: 403-609-2623, ext.105, or email: [email protected]
If I have other questions, can I speak to someone about the event?
Absolutely! Please feel welcome to contact Becky Lipton Fournier at artsPlace: 403-609-2623 or [email protected].