Protection of Personal Information at artsPlace
Purpose of this Policy
artsPlace respects the privacy of our students, visitors, staff, instructors and volunteers. This manual describes how artsPlace treats personal information. These practices protect the personal information you entrust to us, and are in full compliance with the Province of Alberta’s Personal Information Protection Act.
Information artsPlace collects from program participants, including students and visitors
artsPlace collects, uses and discloses your personal information for the purposes of program registration and communication about our activities. Personal information we collect includes identifying information such as name, home address, phone number, age, financial information etc. Information available from a public source such as a telephone directory or public registry is not considered personal. We collect this information to perform activities such as:
enrolling you programs and delivering those programs,
advising you of upcoming programs, services, special events, open houses, exhibits and/or performances,
advising you of fundraising initiatives
To enable artsPlace to operate its registration and administrative functions.
- Our website collects only information which you provide voluntarily by registering to receive newsletters, signing up for programs or sending us emails.
When you provide your personal information to artsPlace through the online registration website, your data is transmitted to a server located within Canada and is subject to Canadian federal laws.
Information artsPlace collects from staff, instructors and volunteers.
- artsPlace gathers and maintains personal information from job applicants, employees and volunteers, to establish, manage or terminate an employment or volunteer-work relationship. For example this information may be used to match volunteers to tasks, and to hire and pay instructors and staff.
- artsPlace collects information directly from applicants and staff, and we may collect additional information from other persons with your consent or as authorized by law.
- artsPlace will inform you, before or at the time of collecting personal information, of the purposes for which we are collecting the information.
- In the case where you voluntarily give artsPlace information to assist staff in performing a task, you will be deemed to have given consent for the use of that information, but only in performing that task. For example, when you give us your credit card information to pay for a course, you are deemed to have given you consent for artsPlace staff to use that credit card information for that payment. You may withdraw your consent at any time.
artsPlace will collect only that personal information which is necessary for the purposes identified.
Storage and safeguards
- Any information you provide to artsPlace will be used and stored in compliance with Alberta’s Personal Information and Protection Act (PIPA).
- artsPlace protects your personal information in a manner appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. We make every reasonable effort to prevent any loss, misuse, disclosure or modification of personal information, as well as any unauthorized access to personal information.
- If you use artsPlace's online registration website, you are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your access information and password. You also agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your password on the online registration website.
Disclosure of information to third parties
- artsPlace will not disclose your information without your consent, except as required by law.
- artsPlace will not rent, sell or trade personal data about you to third parties.
- artsPlace will share your personal information, in compliance with the law, when it is in your best interest that we do so, and you are unable to give permission in a reasonable amount of time. For example, we would share allergy information with medical responders in the event of an emergency.
artsPlace make every reasonable effort to ensure that personal information is as accurate and complete as is necessary for the purposes for which it is collected, used or disclosed. We rely on you to notify us if there is a change to your personal information that may affect your relationship with us. If you are aware of an error in our information about you, please let us know and we will correct it on request wherever possible. In some cases we may ask for a written request for correction. You can also update your profile information on-line.
Accountability, Openness and Access
artsPlace is responsible for all personal information under its control. artsPlace will make information available to you concerning the policies and practices that apply to the management of your personal data. artsPlace will inform you, upon your written request and with appropriate notice, of the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information and will provide you access to it in accordance with the law.
You may direct any questions or enquiries with respect to artsPlace's privacy policies or practices to the designated Privacy Officer of artsPlace:
We reserve the right to make changes to this policy. Any changes to this policy will be posted.