Job Opportunity - Summer Camp and Festival Assistant
Summer Camp and Festival Assistant
(Contract Summer Student Position)
Reporting directly to the Programs Manager, and working closely with all artsPlace staff, the Summer Camp and Festival Assistant will support the daily running of the artsPlace summer camps, as well as assist with coordination of the 2017 Canmore Festival of Art and Creativity. artsPlace is Canmore’s community arts centre, offering accessible arts-based programs, classes, workshops, and public performances for all age groups and across multiple disciplines. artsPlace features a number of teaching, exhibition and performance spaces including classrooms for ceramics, fabrication and visual arts, a black box performance/film theatre, and a gallery space.
This is a full time contract position, 40 hours per week, from June 18 to August 25, 2017. The hourly wage will be $15.00 per hour + 4% vacation pay. The successful candidate must be a full-time student returning to or starting full-time post-secondary education in the fall.
1. Assist with planning and coordination of artsPlace Summer Art Camps for children and youth, including:
- Supervise and run pre- and post-camp care
- Supervise and run lunch-time care
- Track enrolment numbers according to course, age group and discipline;
- Ensure that all registration, client information and emergency contact forms are complete;
- Communicate with instructors regarding their needs and requirements for the programs;
- Assist the Communications Manager in preparing and distributing promotional materials;
- Communicate with parents to ensure that information is shared in a timely manner;
- Prepare weekly room set-up specific for camps;
- Prepare weekly class lists, attendance lists and sign-in sheets;
- Prepare weekly nametags for volunteers, students and instructors;
- Prepare weekly schedules for volunteers;
- Complete a final report describing the work plan, compiling registration numbers, summarizing evaluations and offering recommendations to improve the camps;
- Ensure the safety and organization of up to 40 students per day by monitoring if policies are followed;
- Supervise volunteers to ensure they follow policies in place;
- Deliver morning announcements regarding camp safety, policies and scheduling to camp participants daily;
- Ensure the camp runs on schedule by monitoring class changes, snack break and lunch break.
2. Assist with the planning and coordination of the annual Festival of Art and Creativity which attracts 2,800 residents and visitors from the Bow Valley for three days of free art workshops, activities and performances.
- Prepare and coordinate contracts with artists and instructors;
- Communicate with instructors regarding their needs and requirements for the workshops;
- Assist with material purchasing and tracking, prepare detailed material lists;
- Assist with planning a detailed festival timeline;
- Assist with workshop and activity scheduling;
- Obtain necessary permits and liaise with the Town of Canmore;
- Assist with volunteer recruitment and coordination;
- Assist the Communications Manager in preparing and distributing promotional materials.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Must be returning to or starting post-secondary studies in the fall
- Passion for the arts and creativity and an appreciation of multiple art forms
- Previous experience working with Children, ideally coordinating children or youth programs
- An outgoing personality, creative flare, and a desire to take initiative
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organization skills and attention to detail
- Capacity to manage multiple tasks.
- Willingness and ability to undertake physical activity including lifting up to 30 lbs
- The ability to multi-task and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with, and the ability to use multiple contemporary communications tools
- The ability to work both independently with limited supervision and as an important member of a small, committed team
Please forward a cover letter and resume as-soon-as-possible and no later than Tuesday, June 13, 2017 to [email protected] referencing Summer Camp and Festival Assistant in the subject line or drop off in person at artsPlace, 950 8th Ave, Canmore. We thank all those who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted